Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!!

This is how our Thanksgiving started (sort of).

It was a very pretty start to the day, but by the end, I was pretty tired, and ready to see what tomorrow  had in store. But I get ahead of myself. Let's start at the beginning.

Mikey woke up at 2:00 a.m. He has a raging diaper rash, and also has diarrhea, which then irritates his little bum even worse. So when he woke up at two, it was because he had pooped, his bum was hurting, and he needed a new diaper. Changing the diapers when his bum is so bad (seriously, it's got bleeding sores and blotchy redness all over) is quite and ordeal. We use sensitive wipes, then cloth wipes with soap to really clean it all off, then a cloth wipe with just water to rinse it all off, then either air dry or use Hayley's hair dryer to get it good and dry, then put on the diaper, then some Nistatin cream, then this concoction made of plain yogurt (to help get rid of yeast that is making the rash worse) and Malox (to help get rid of the acid that is eating away at his bum).

Anyway, so he wakes up, we change him, I snuggle him back to sleep, then he starts crying half an hour later, we check, he pooped AGAIN, we change the diaper again, and this time he's way less inclined to sleep. I had to sit and rock him for another half hour, and at abut 3:30 a.m., I went back to sleep. Then, he woke up a little before 6:00 a.m., and we had to do another diaper change. Hayley and I tag team these diapers, because it's nice to have someone go get the soapy wipe, warm water wipe, and yogurt/Malox concoction while the other starts getting him out of pajamas to change the diaper, do the wiping, etc. The 6:00 a.m. wake up time wouldn't have been so bad, except for the issue of being up from 2-3:30 the same morning. We were tired, but still looking forward to the day!

While Mikey was up, Hayley made her super awesome green bean dish (having already made deviled eggs and a killer cheese cake the night before), and I made mashed potatoes. Sometime between Mikey's 6:00 a.m. diaper change and starting to make the food, Hayley said something to the effect of "Let's make sure we have a really good day today, ok?" To which I responded with a smile and whole-hearted agreement. My mashed potatoes were awesome, by the way.

Later, Mikey wouldn't take his nap at 9:00 a.m. like he usually does, even though at 8:30 he was beside himself, he was so tired. We wanted him to wake up at 11:00 a.m. so we could head to Tiffanie's for Thanksgiving. Well, he finally went down at about 10:30, and slept until we woke him up at noon. Because there is a huge ordeal with diaper changes, we had all sorts of stuff to take with us, and because he's getting a cold on top of the horrid diaper rash, we took the pack-n-play thinger so he would have somewhere to take a nap, so he wouldn't be such a monster all day. That totally worked and he took a great afternoon nap.

The meal at Tiff's was awesome. The turkey was great, the stuffing was great, the sweet potatoes were great, the green beans were great, the appetizers were great. It was all great. The deserts... everything! The semi-nap on the couch while watching movies and TV was good, too. Mikey started fading at about 6:30 p.m., so we started packing up all our baby things, and somehow left with more food than we brought. At home, we unpacked, then started getting Mikey ready for bed.

As I was changing his clothes, I was greeted with a treat. Mikey had a blow out. There was poop everywhere. Hayley came to help, we got him, his clothes, and the changing table cleaned up, put in the wash, gave him a bath, and got him ready for bed. After I got his diaper on, I noticed that the cotton balls that we used to dab on the yogurt/Malox had fallen behind his bed, so I bent down to get them, and while reaching under the bed, I knocked the stand that was holding the yogurt/Malox concoction, and it fell on the floor. So I had Hayley help me again with wet rags so I could clean that up, too. Then, we FINALLY got Mikey to bed!

While I was getting Mikey ready for bed (and spilling yogurt/Malox on the floor, then cleaning it up), Hayley was reclaiming the kitchen. We had left dishes from all our cooking endeavors in the sink, and the kitchen wasn't it's cleanest; not a TOTAL wreck, but not clean. Hayley was on a roll from helping with the blow out, getting things in the laundry, putting things away from the Thanksgiving visit, so she kept being productive in the kitchen. She also decided the microwave needed to be cleaned. She did this little trick where you microwave a little water with lemon oil, which helps break up all the junk in your microwave. After she had wiped down most of the microwave, she asked me to get the back wall of it, because doing so was hurting her back. I happily jumped in on the productive measures, and wiped it down. We decided that because the microwave was so gross, we'd do the little trick with the water and lemon oil again, and do a final wipe down. Well, after the stuff had been in the microwave for about 30 seconds, the door opened, the glass tray jumped, and the water and oil spilled. It scared me to death! I may or may not have cursed, and wanted toss out the thing right then and there.

After the microwave explosion, Hayley said, "What a night!" But even with the early morning wake ups, struggling naps, messy kitchen, diaper blow out, and microwave explosion, we had a great day. I had a good time with Hayley and Mikey, Tiffanie was a great hostess, and visiting with her, her family, my mom and dad, and McKay was nice. Mikey loved Tiff's dogs and hanging out with Nana and Papa, a fellow red-headed cousin, and some aunts and uncles. We had some great food. And we were thankful. It was a full day, but a great day. It goes to show that if you decide you want a nice day, you can have one. It was a really good day. Hope you had a good one, too!!

1 comment:

Hayley said...

i just knew that it could've been a hard day if we let it... it was all in the attitude. we're all tired, most of us not feeling well - then when disaster hit, we could've gotten grumpy. but i'm glad we chose to laugh about it.

i love you and am so thankful for you.