Sunday, March 16, 2008

Saint Pat's

It's late, but I gotta write about the St. Patrick's Day party I went to on Saturday.

We started the night off by kissing the Blarney Stone. Upside down, which I found out later is the preferred method for kissing Blarney Stones.

Then we went on a St. Patrick's treasure hunt. I was grouped with Caron and her friend from work. We were lucky enough to get the only green colored clues, which was an excellent omen. After breaking a few minor traffic laws and running all around West Jordan, we found the pot of gold first! Go Team Green!

The second best part of the night was the Irish jig instruction and subsequent competition. Emma has been taking Scottish and Irish dancing lessons and was gracious enough to share her newfound talent with the group. I've got a few videos. As usual, they sorta suck as they were taken with my cell phone, but it's still fun to watch.


After performing a little Irish hard shoe dance, Emma taught everyone how to do a basic jig. It started with a basic step, that Christy and Krista learned pretty quickly. They even made their own little dance in a circle.


Once everyone had the basic step, Emma taught a few more steps, and everyone got involved.



So once everyone was happily jigging in the living room, there was a little competition.



The winner got an Irish shot glass. How very appropriate. Which leads to the funnest part of the night.

Before I tell you about it, I feel I must give a little background. I may or may not have told you about "The Fridge Game." If I haven't, the basic premise is that you label seemingly random items in your refrigerator from 2-12, roll some dice, then you have to eat a spoonful of whatever you roll. It could be anything from cool whip to lemon garlic marinade. It's a touch insane, but very fun. But oddly enough, I can never get anyone to play!

So, seeing as St. Patrick's Day is an Irish holiday and the Irish are known for their drinking, we played a little drinking game. (Don't worry Mom, fam, and other concerned readers, no alcohol was involved.) This game involves filling 6 shot glasses with various liquids. You roll the die and you have to drink the glass labeled with your corresponding number. If the glass is empty, you get to fill it with whatever you want, and can mix and match liquids. For example, glass 3 is filled with water. I roll a 3 and I drink the water. Sally, who is next, also rolls a 3. Because the glass is now empty, she doesn't have to drink anything, but adds grape juice to the empty shot glass. And so on.

Because we had no alcohol, we got a little creative with our liquids. We had green punch, water, grape juice, hot chocolate, salsa, chicken broth, ginger ale, and redi-whip. (You see how this relates to The Fridge Game now?)

Here you have hot chocolate, water, grape juice, salsa, green punch, and chicken broth

You may be saying, "But Garrett, that's more than six! How does that work with only six shot glasses?" My answer, dear reader, is that--as stated earlier--the rules allow mixing and matching liquids. For example, I had to drink a shot of chicken broth, salsa, and grape juice topped with redi-whip. In the words of Rachel Ray, "Yummo!" And believe me, it only got worse. By the end, solids started getting added to our shots-things like peas and chocolate. Oh, and a blueberry muffin.

Everyone had a good time, though, and it's the closest I've ever gotten to getting people to play The Fridge Game. A few folks were really stressed over having to drink some of those crazy mixed shots, and there were always shouts and laughter as we watched our buddies choke down each swallow. It was some crazy fun, though!

P.S. Photos completely and utterly stolen from Christy's Blog. Thanks Christy!

5 comments:

Christy said...

Thanks for the videos! Those are great! And I have seriously never laughed so hard in my life! (But I don't really want to drink salsa concoctions anymore either!)

Jessica Sorensen said...

sounds like your st. patty's was a lot more enjoyable then ours.

Bonny said...

you guys are crazy...looks fun! where do you take irish dance lessons! Sign me up for reals.

Tiffanie said...

seriously, you are nuts! Looks like a fun party.

Katey said...

That looks like loads of fun. I love small holiday's and having big parties for them. Glad you had a good time. :)